The widely celebrated sport, basketball is more than a century old. However, professional basketball is just 6 decades old. It took 50 years of churning for the sport to become popular with the youth.
Here are 9 important and interesting facts about basketball that you should know today.
- Peach Basket Design :- Unlike the modern-day basketball hoops that allow the ball to pass through them, the conventional basketball hoops were made from peach baskets. These baskets were sealed shut at the bottom. Therefore, after each score, a referee had to pause the game and climb up a ladder to fetch the ball back from the basket to continue the play.
- Wired Backboards :- Most modern-day basketball boards are made from transparent glass materials. However, in the initial years of basketball, these boards were made from wires. These wired backboards provided the necessary visibility for the audience as well the referees but made it practically impossible for the ball the bounce back from the board into the hoop. This made scoring relatively very difficult.
- Modern-Day Hoops Are Weatherproof:- Unlike the conventional basketball hoops, the modern-day best portable basketball hoop are made from weatherproof materials. This makes the hoops usable both for outdoor and indoor play effectively. These weatherproof materials also allow the enthusiasts to play basketball as a poolside sport without damaging the system with possible risk of rust and corrosion.
- Made from Acrylic and Polyethene:-The modern-day basketball systems are made from acrylic and polyethene, which handle the impact and load effectively. They are usually shatterproof, making the play very safe for kids.
- Played with Soccer Balls:- Basketball was played with soccer balls for the first time. In the first-ever basketball game, the players had no concept of a different ball for the sport since they just needed a ball to play. Also, there were no strict regulations for dribbling the ball while moving.
- The Ball Wasn’t Orange Back Then:– The ball used to play basketball was not orange as it is today. Instead, the first norms that fixed the basketball colour to orange were established in the early 1950s.
- The Exact Dimensions :- The steel rim on the basketball hoop measures exactly 18 inches in diameter. The backboard dimensions behind the basketball hoop measure 3.5 feet by 6 feet. The rim of the basketball hoop is located exactly 10 feet from the ground level.
- Tall Scorers and Short Guards:- We know that usually tall players are suited to play basketball. The average height of basketball players around the world is 6 feet and 3 inches. The tallest players usually go close to 7 feet in height. The guards for the hoop are usually the shortest players in the court with an average height of 6 feet.
- Tallest and Shortest Professional Basketball Player :- Tallest Player Ever – Gheorghe Muresan (7 feet, 7 inches) Shortest Player Ever – Muggsy Bogues (5 feet, 3 inches)
We are sure that you found these basketball facts intriguing and insightful. We hope that this glorious sport remains popular for centuries to come.