Whether it is for fitness, or you are fond of the sport, boxing equipment is relatively inexpensive. Although people might tell you that you need the latest gadget, do not trust them! All you need to begin boxing is a lot of energy and some basic equipment plus determination.
Conditioning is very important for boxing, and your body becomes your equipment for that. Otherwise, you need some equipment as noted below:
- Shoes:- To begin boxing, you do not need a pair of boxing shoes. However, you need a pair of athletic shoes to protect your feet. It is important to wear perfectly fitted shoes in the ring to go with the flow of the game.
- Boxing Gloves:- This is one of the essential equipment for boxing. Boxing gloves are different from bag gloves. While bag gloves are used for boxing the bags, top boxing gloves are used for the real game. So, get a pair of training gloves ranging from 10oz to 16oz depending on your weight.
- Hand Wraps: -Boxing hand wraps are equally important for the safety of your hands, especially wrists. They protect your wrists from spraining and breaking. There are different types of hand wraps available today. You can choose the ones that need not be wrapped; you can simply slip them on.
- Mouth Guard:- The mouth guards are also essential equipment you need to start boxing. You may not be sparring, but you should have a mouth guard even during the drills, and more so when you are drilling with a beginner.
- Sparring Head Gear:- Headgear becomes essential when you perform live sparring. Get a decent headgear at the best price from the market. Always buy a quality headgear as this equipment would take a lot of abuse. Instead of the cheapest vinyl, go for a good quality material or a higher quality of vinyl. You can find plenty of styles in headgear ranging from minimal head coverage to full coverage.
- Bag Gloves:- Bag gloves, or training gloves, are different from the competition or sparring boxing gloves. Bag gloves have just the required amount of padding to protect the hands while you knock the heavy bag. Choose a sturdy and durable one so that it lasts longer and gives you optimum protection.
- Heavy Bag:- A heavy bag for boxing should not weigh more than 70 pounds. These bags are filled with either hard or soft material, and they are made of leather, canvas, or durable vinyl. They also come with a swivel mount, which is used for attaching the bag to the stand or ceiling. As such, there is no difference between the hard and soft bag apart from an extra foam layer for added softness.
- Groin and Chest Protectors:- While these are not mandatory boxing equipment, there is no harm in having them. If the fights end up in a tooth and nail battle, you might need these protectors. So, having a set of both is always advised.
Related Post -: